Holding Onto The Past


Last summer my daughter went through her belongings in preparation to start college and move into the dorms.  While digging through boxes, closets, and drawers, she came across her rather larger collection of sketch books in which she had doodled throughout the years.  Immediately she put them all in the “garbage” pile.
When I asked her why, the response was, “Everything is so ugly!  I can’t believe I was ever that bad at drawing.”
 (M. Hult 2009)

I picked up a sketch book at random and flipped through it while glancing up at her wall of current art.  Having no skill at drawing, I could never create something as beautiful as what was in this book and in her mind “garbage”.  Were the pictures on the wall better?  Of course!  Years of classes, books/videos and self discipline had lifted her work to a significantly higher level and will continue to do so.

 (M. Hult 2014)


I 100% disagreed with her decision to throw away her memories and hard work.  You see my daughter wants to be become an Art teacher so she can create and share her love of art with others.  What better way to show aspiring artists of 11-17 years old where an incredible artist started with their talent?  We all have start from somewhere, right?
The sketch books are now safely stored in the hall closet, minus one that my daughter took with her to college to look at when she’s feeling her work is less than satisfactory.  (Please note that all the art on this blog is of her creation, unless otherwise specified.)
What holding onto the past means to me is remembering, learning, and growing from our experiences both good and bad.  I apply this toevery aspect in my life.  Am I a hoarder?  Probably, but that is for another post.  My advice is hold onto your past, keep it close, look back at your mistakes and successes; let them build you into the better person you will be tomorrow.  For I believe with all my heart that those who let go too quickly, don’t really learn the intended lesson.
 (My attempt at art)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTUE Or Why I Started a Blog

Mother's Day